The Instructor-Led Training course type is used for managing scheduled, live training events led by an instructor. These trainings can be in person with a predetermined location (such as a classroom or meeting room) or virtually with a meeting tool such as Zoom. Both in-person and virtual trainings use the same course type.
In this article
There are three fundamental components to an ILT/VILT Course: the Course shell; Sessions; and Events.
- Learners register for Sessions, or an offering of the course.
- Sessions include one or more Events, which are specific dates, times, and locations during which an instructor leads a training.
How to Create an ILT/VILT Course
Creating the course shell
As a Power User - Author in the Campus Learning System:
- Open the course. Click the Gear icon, choose Course Management.
- Click the green plus icon. Choose the ILT (Instructor-Led Training) option, then complete the form.
- On the Properties tab, open the Enrollments options.
- Under Self-Unenrollment, check the Enable self-unenrollment for this course box to allow learners to unenroll themselves from the course. If this is not selected, learners must contact the course owner if they no longer want to take the course.
- Under Sessions Self-Unenrollment, check the Enable self-unenrollment from sessions in this course and Allow users to change sessions boxes. These will allow learners to unenroll themselves from a selected session and change into a new session, respectively, providing flexibility for learners to manage their own learning experience. If this is not selected, learners must contact the course owner for any changes.
With the course open:
- Navigate to the Sessions tab and click the green plus icon. Choose New Session.
- Complete the form. Note that you will almost always use the "Attendance Based" option for Session Evaluation/Completion.
- The session's Properties tab allows you to modify the session's attendance settings and enrollment counts, among other information.
- The Events & Attendance tab shows all the session's Events, or specific dates, times, and locations of the session. Each Session must have at least one Event for learner's to attend.
- The Enrollments & Evaluations tab displays all learners enrolled in the session, as well as their enrollment status (completed, enrolled, etc.).
Managing virtual events
An Event is a specific date, time, and location during which an instructor leads a training virtually or in person. All Sessions must have one or more events.
To create a virtual event, such as a Zoom webinar, open the course; then:
- Open the session within which the event should be created.
- Click the green plus icon and choose New Event.
- Complete the form. In the Event Type section, check Video Conference Tool for a virtual event (such as a Zoom webinar). Select Custom Tool, then enter the link to the event. Learners will use this exact link to join the event when it begins.
- Under Attendance Options, check Mark the event as attended when the user joins the webinar. This will automatically set a learner as Attended when they click the Join link.
- Select Display the join button before the event starts and enter a time. We recommend allowing learners to join at least 15 minutes before the event.
- Click Confirm.
Adding Training Material to an ILT Course
For ILT courses, Training Material is used to provide supplemental documents or files that complement the course content. This keeps all materials in one space for your learners and can serve as an alternative to hosting files (such as slides or handouts) in a separate system or sending multiple emails with attachments.
- On the course's page, click the Training Material tab.
- Click the Add Training Material dropdown and select the appropriate material type.
Adding Widgets to an ILT Course
Widgets allow you to customize the course page with additional information or content for your learners.
- On the course's page, click the Training Material tab, then click Add Course Widgets.
- Click Add Widgets. Choose from the list of available widgets, then click Save Changes.